“Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.”
(National Curriculum 2014)
Our aim at St. Gabriel’s is to provide a high quality Art & Design curriculum which stimulates creativity and imagination. It aims to inspire and challenge our pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. We have compiled the schemes of work in a way that ensures broad coverage of all Art National Curriculum objectives, and ensures our pupils experience and enjoy a variety of art projects using different skills and materials throughout the school year.
In Early Years, children will discover artistic creativity through the Expressive Arts and Design area of learning.
During the children’s learning journey at St Gabriel’s, our intended impact of the Art and Design Curriculum is to ensure that children:
- communicate what they see, feel and think using colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes.
- explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers
- explore the impact art & design has on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures
- make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions
- record from first–hand experience and from imagination
- select their own ideas to use in their work
- achieve their creative potential in both two and three dimensional work, working on a variety of scales
- foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
- appreciate the beauty, order and precision that is found, naturally and man–made, in our world.
Children will also learn how art & design:
- reflects and shapes our history
- contributes to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation
- enriches our lives