“Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.“
(National Curriculum 2014)
Our aim at St. Gabriel’s is to provide a high quality Design & Technology curriculum which is practical, creative and provides opportunities to solve problems independently and collaboratively.
Pupils will research past and present technologies, inventors and designers to support their understanding in an ever–changing technological world.
In Early Years, children will experience creating with materials and being imaginative and expressive the Expressive Arts and Design area of learning.
- During the children’s learning journey at St Gabriel’s, our intended impact of the Design Technology Curriculum is to ensure that children:
- Develop creative, technical and practical expertise reflecting the needs of an increasingly technological world
- Build a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills to use and apply in the process of design
- Have real–life design opportunities
- Learn to communicate their design ideas through age appropriate methods
- Choose appropriate tools, materials and components and use them with increasing skill
- Explore structures, mechanisms, electrical systems, textiles, inventions, computer controlled systems, cooking and nutrition
- Learn to critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- Reflects on how design and technology has shaped our history
- Recognise the contribution that inventions, technology and industry have made to our nation
- Recognise how design and technology can enrich our lives